A good week in which I got ahead on my reading and made a few tweaks to my site, but utterly failed in titling my discussion.
The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @Caffeinated Book Reviewer, is a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.
Caution: Her site has sidebar ads that sometimes contain cover images which may be offensive to some.
Not long after I posted my last Sunday Summary, I realized that I left out my Reading Update & Up Next (not sure how that happened). I considered editing the post to add it; but, since it was all "in progress" stuff with nothing completed, I decided to just save it for this week.
I made a couple of changes to the blog this week. I had known from the beginning that I didn't want to have an actual picture of myself on my blog. I hate the way I look in pictures, and don't even let my family take any except at weddings & reunions. (My mother's husband spent quite a bit of time trying to reassure my about my looks, until I got through to him that I don't have a problem with how I look - except in 2D.)
However, in my research for ways to improve my blog I read this post by Mara @ Mara Was Here. One of her points was that she really wants to know the name of the blogger. After also reading the comments, and a couple of other posts, I decided to add the very short bio now at the top of my sidebar.
This week's discussion post was inspired by my shock at learning that less than 10% of audiobooks sold in the U.S. are children's titles. The post was fairly unsuccessful though, and I am thinking that it may have been because my attempt at a provocative title was a miserable failure.
Last Week on GMB
- SUN: I Reached a Blogger Milestone | Sunday Summary #3
- TUE: Stars, a Sorcerer, and Shadows | New Audiobook Releases
- WED: Science & Snark: The Practice Effect | Review + Author Interview - ★★★★½ SciFi
- THU: Are Our Children Being Audiobook Deprived? | My Musings
- SAT: Not Just Another Harry Potter: The Iron Trial | Review - ★★★★ YA Fantasy
Next Week on GMB
- TUE: New Audiobook Releases
- WED: Streetlights Like Fireworks | Review + Author Interview - ★★★★ YA Psychic Mystery
- SAT: Steelheart | Review - ★★★★ YA Superhero Dystopia
- SUN: Sunday Summary #5
- "Why Reading Makes You a Better Person" by Kirstin Fawcett @ mental_floss
Check out the great infographic.
"Want to become the best version of yourself? Try picking up a book. Research suggests that the act of reading isn’t simply pleasurable—it also boosts brainpower, lowers stress levels, increases earning potential, and makes you a kinder, more empathetic person."
- "Discussion: What the Book Blogging Community Gave Me" by Paige @ The Paige-Turner
"What’s so incredible is the fact that we’re living out adventures in our minds everyday and then we get to go into the real world and share that love. Book blogging has brought me so many new perspectives and viewpoints and taken me to corners of the world (metaphorically) that I may have never been otherwise exposed to. That’s a beautiful thing. "
- "What Book Blogging Means To Me" by Auggie @ Auggie Talk
"It's about books. It's about what books mean to me and connecting with others who feel the same sort of unbelievable giddiness about these text filled pages that are magic and madness and glory and grief."
- "Bloggers are Humans Too" by Jesse @ Books at Dawn
"We need to be united as a book blogging community. This should be a fun environment where we can share our thoughts on the books we love and the books we didn’t love. We need to realize that not everyone is going to share the same opinions, and we need to realize that it is not a personal attack when someone doesn’t like a book you do."
Disclosure: Clicking & making a purchase from any section below may result in a small commission for me.
I finished re-reading/listening to the following in preparation for this week's reviews:
I listened to the following in preparation for next week's review:
Received for Review
Thanks to Audiobook Jukebox for providing the following:
(Hover over cover to read description)
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I have not read these books and thus can't give content warnings.
All books were free unless otherwise stated (and may or may not still be free).
All the Kindle books I acquired that have Audible versions available.
Some of the other Kindle books I acquired.
Talk to Me (pretty please)
- Do you prefer to know something about a blogger before commenting?
- What do you do if a post falls flat on it's face?
- The Battlefield Earth version I am listening to is 47.5 hours long, what is the longest book you've ever listened to?
- If you are a first time visitor, how did you discover my blog?
- I recently debuted my redesigned blog. What do you think?
May 22, 2016
May 15, 2016
May 8, 2016
(If you don’t see anything in this section, your browser may be blocking share buttons)
Join me on my Audiobook Journey?
Never Miss a Post
This post will also be linked up with the following (hover for descriptions):